Before Coming to the Hospital
Thank you for choosing St. John’s Children’s Hospital for your child’s surgery. We will work with you to provide the best possible care for your child while you are here. Before you bring your child in for surgery, please call (217) 535-3797 to pre-register or pre-register online. Pre-registration is open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.. This will ensure an easier check in on the day of surgery.
It is important to prepare your child as well as yourself about the hospital visit before coming. Studies have shown that children are less frightened and respond to the staff and surroundings with less apprehension when they are familiar with the environment. St. John’s Children’s Hospital provides a preoperative (or pre-admission) visit called a Surgical Discovery Tour. This tour provides time for children to touch and play with actual medical equipment, learn what to expect on their day of surgery, tour the different areas they will see and have their questions answered.
Here is some general information to help make the registration process go smoothly.
- The hospital's Admitting Department will contact you prior to your child's scheduled test or procedure to gather and confirm registration information.
- Bring legal guardianship documents for the child to the hospital. Admitting Department staff will ask you to sign papers related to consent to treatment and insurance billing. Please bring your child's insurance card and a photo ID of yourself.
- Please bring your child's current medications.
- Please leave all valuables at home.
- If your child has special needs relating to a disability, hearing disorder or if he/she needs an interpreter, please call St. John's Case Management Services Department at (217) 544-6464, ext. 30562, between the hours of 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday to speak with a social worker prior to your arrival. After 4:30 p.m. and on weekends, please call (217) 544-6464 and dial "0" for the operator.
What to Bring
St. John's Children's Hospital has all kinds of toys and games that children can use while they are here. But, children can also bring any of their favorite movies, music, games, toys, or stuffed animals from home. They can also bring any of their favorite pajamas, slippers, blankets, or pillows to use while they are here.